Often times, straight people like to call themselves allies to the LGBT+ community, but are they really? Just trying to be an ally means a lot to us in that community, but here are a few more ways and tips for being a straight ally.
Use correct name and pronouns (this is a BIG one for the T in LGBT+).
- Stick up for us when people are negative towards LGBT+ folks.
- Support us during rough times in our lives.
- Listen to us vent about issues and/or bigots in our lives. You may be the only one that does.
- Don’t joke about our sexuality (example: calling straight men lesbians).
- Don’t use gay slurs when talking to or about us.
- Vote in elections, every vote counts.
- Love us like the human beings we are.
For more information on how to be a straight ally, please visit http://www.glaad.org/resources/ally/2